For most of my life, I have thought of myself as someone who cared about the environment. Yet, to be transparent, I have not always been very good at caring for the environment. So, this past year, I undertook a spiritual journey to explore environmental sustainability. Over a period of three months, my wife and I spent time with local leaders who are developing sustainable ways of life in the foothills of southeast Ohio. We visited a non-profit organization working to protect forests. We sat down with the owners of a private business accelerating the shift to renewable energy. And, we witnessed entire communities coming together to support small farms. Deep in the heart of coal country, we found ourselves inspired by innovative people who are making creative ways to care for God’s Creation. This September, we are going to share our experiences with the church. We will survey the Bible for lessons on human stewardship of the earth; Mariellyn will show you some of her favorite pictures from the trips; and, I will talk about some of the revelations I had about environmental sustainability from The Footprint of the Foothills.
Weekly Bible Readings
- Genesis 1:27 – 2:3 – The Footprints of Forests
- Ezekiel 36:33-36 – The Footprints of Fossil Fuels
- Luke 12:22-34 – The Footprints of Farms
- Revelation 21:1-5 – The Footprint of a Community (or, Behind-the-Scenes)
Pastor’s Bible Study: Mondays, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- This September, Pastor Ryan will lead discussions on Sunday scriptures while following The Footprint of the Foothills Bible Study. Participants will also be invited to develop environmental sustainability initiatives for our local church!
Teaching Sunday: September 26
- During worship, go Behind-the-Scenes of creating the documentary with Pastor Ryan and Mariellyn. Then, at 11:00 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall, join the Agape gathering to screen and discuss The Footprint of the Foothills.